Friday, June 17, 2005

Blessings Amidst Dry Bones

Why paper cuts must exist, I surely don’t know. All I was doing was opening a bill…as in mail. I guess I should use a letter opener instead of tearing into it as if I’m uncivilized or mail-starved . Argh. I still believe in the power of bandaids, however, and even though it is placed in an awkward heap in the valley between my two fingers, it does make me feel a little better.

On to other things. I am now at the halfway point of my anatomy class. I cannot tell you what a blessing I am finding my professor to be. I’ve told Sharon she needs to take his class just so she can experience the fun of having him for a teacher. I’m working really hard to get everything, but it isn’t the drudgery I expected it to be. I have to think back to my A & P class at the Tech School and what a nightmare it was. There just is no comparison. I survived the bone test with a low A, but there were only six A’s out of 58, and the class average was a 73; so I won’t complain too much about that. I don’t mind so much missing the ones that I simply don’t have a clue about. It’s the ones that I studied and can’t recall that get me!! So unnecessary. For example, I knew good and well that the fontanels of the infant skull were going to be on that test. I even studied them and thought I knew them. But at recall time… NOPE! Could not drudge the things up for anything. I call this “glazed over” phenomenon a “classic Kris.”

The maintenance people decided to cut the power on the same day we had the bone test. So we had the craziest schedule. We met downstairs on the sunny side of the building [a different room] for the lecture part first. Prof M was VERY merciful to us and let us go a whole 45 minutes early so we could prepare for the lab exam. At 10:00, we met upstairs in the zoology lab on the sunny side of the building to take the bone part of the exam. Then we marched down the hall on the second floor to a third and final room to take the written part of the exam, also on the sunny side of the building. No power means no air, so there we were again… panting like dogs.

As was told prior to the test, the bones were indeed just laid out randomly with bone markings marked to be identified. I had spent so many hours in that lab touching, feeling, holding, and identifying those bones that it was mostly easy.. except for the infant skull. That was just not to be recalled. The written part of the exam was worse than the practical part, I thought, but there were many others who disagreed with me. There were two girls the next morning rejoicing that they had gotten a D. “I’ll take it!” they said. A “D”???

Then it was on to study for the lecture test on Friday. We don’t even get all the material for the test until on Thursday, so it makes it a little hard. I was going to go home and study for it on Tuesday night, but Sharon and Jolene came over and we solved yet another set of the world’s problems—and I didn’t get ANY studying done at all. I paid for it later though. I fell asleep last night while studying for today’s test… so I got up at 10 till 5 and studied away the remaining hours. I thought today’s test was the best one yet though… it wasn’t nearly as bad as it could have been.

The next milestone is to get ready for the muscle test on Tuesday. I'm tired already.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home