Friday, April 29, 2005

Nerves of Steel

The main thing I'm thankful for tonight is that God allowed me to drive my ailing alternator to the shop this morning instead of my usual manner of having to be towed in. Yes, folks, my alternator died AGAIN... the third time in two and a half years.

When I noticed that the indicator lights for the brake and the battery kept coming on this morning, my heart lurched, then settled down into my stomach. Deja vu, they call it. Been there, done that. Thankfully, I was on the outskirts of Bowling Green when they came on instead of the usual halfway between. I convinced myself it couldn't be the alternator again so soon and kept going for school, although my roving eye "tested" every few yards as the inevitable Pull-Off Place. Apparently, the battery was still fairly strong, as I was able to make it to school and then to Auto Pro again without the aid of a towing truck. The poor little mechanic was so surprised to see me there again. "You're here again?" he asked. He then subtly "made known" a little $500 1993 Grand Am that was sitting there in the parking lot. I told him I don't "do" Grand Am's, thank you very much... Too many left sitting beside the road, you know. (ahem)


This time, Hillbilly Bob himself (ex-wrestler) was sitting there in the lobby. Tomika (dau of Mr. Mechanic) is trying to get him to sing at her wedding in July.


So what do you think? Is my commitment to my car being tested? Why, it takes absolute nerves of steel to keep paying to get it fixed. But I sure enough did... again.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What would Dave Ramsey say?!!
I saw a really nice minivan this afternoon, and stopped and looked at it. It was a really nice 2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette Premeire edition. I don't know much about that vehicle, it doesn't seem like a bad price for that model. However, if I'm gonna spend $12,000 for a 2001 minivan it would have to be for a Honda Odessey. I can't stop drooling over the 2001 or 2002 Honda Odessey....O.k. maybe not drolling, it's a minivan for crying out loud!! But I'm determined to stay with my old Dodge Intrepid until it dies or we need a bigger vehicle for the children. We do have another one on the way, sometime in Dec., but we can fit another one into a car.....
There's probably a problem somewhere in the electric system that causes you to have to replace the alternator so often.... but I don't know. It's cheaper to buy an alternator every other year than to pay a higher tax on a newer vehicle, or pay interest on a loan..... But there does come a time when a body needs a reliable set of wheels.
I think I'm gonna head to work for a little while, have a great weekend.

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home