Monday, December 29, 2008

Two Minutes…

So having been designated the 0gden Scholar (which turns out to be a bigger deal than I originally thought), and with being one of two Mennonite sisters who were both graduating at the same time and "with honors," Sharon and I were catapulted into the media spotlight briefly. They say you get fifteen minutes of fame, and then it's over. I think "two minutes of fame" would be a little more accurate in our case.


At any rate, it started with being contacted by A.B., who wanted to do a story on us for a television segment called "View from the Hill." Someone told me later that they like to have a big graduation story for every graduation, and this time, Sharon and I were The Big Story. We weren't all that excited about it, but we agreed to do an interview for the two-minute spot. Let's just say we did NOT enjoy that process at all. It was so difficult to give an answer that we felt good about while knowing that it could be twisted into something else entirely. This was complicated by not knowing ahead of time what questions were going to be asked. The first question was "Tell us about your community." Well, that was nice and general, wasn't it? You could go a thousand different directions with that.

At the same time the television interview was being conducted, the one in charge of media relations for the university was taking notes for the purposes of writing a press release which would then be released to the newspapers. They also had a photographer in the room who was taking many, many pictures. Needless to say, we decided we were not meant for the camera.

The media relations person sent us a rough draft of his piece ahead of time, and we took the liberty of making corrections. And he was fine with us making corrections, which we appreciated so much. In the end, we liked his article much better than any other thing that was put out there. What happens is that the University sends out their article in the form of a press release, which other newspapers can then take and publish as their own story. A reprint was not good enough for the BG paper, however, and they wanted to write their own story. So we had a late night interview with one of their reporters. Unlike the university, we were not given a chance to edit it, which resulted in a poorly written, inaccurate article. We absolutely hated it. The other smaller newspapers stuck with the university version, for which we were very grateful.

When we were contacted by the university's radio station for an interview, we were beginning to feel harassed. We were much bolder by this time, however, and told her that the only way we would consider it is if she sent us the questions ahead of time. She mostly stuck to the questions, although she did throw some curves into it. I haven't had the nerve to listen to the interview yet, but Sharon did, and we were both very upset to find that the intro she stuck in there when the piece was edited was her own version of what she had wanted us to say (and didn't). I had also sent her some corrections after the interview and asked her not to include certain questions, and according to Sharon, she did anyway. We were SO NOT HAPPY! They say don't believe everything the media throws at you, and we are here to tell you that that is true.

We have decided that there is the Real Truth and then there is the Censored Truth. And what makes these interviews so difficult is that you have to give the Censored Truth on the fly. What do I mean by that? Well, for example, one question they repeatedly ask is if we have experienced any rejection from our community because of attending college. Or alternatively, have we received support from our community, and if so, how? Well, the Censored Truth is that no, we have not been "rejected," per se, and our community has supported us as best as they know how. Any conservative Mennonite who has been in college would probably know all too well that the Real Truth is slightly different.

We knew the story had hit the newspapers when Sharon and I went to the dry cleaners early one morning, and the dry cleaning lady told us how much she had enjoyed reading our article. We were a little startled, but it was the first of many such comments from people we met in passing. For example:

  • We met one teenager in Nashville who came up to us and asked us if we were from Franklin (turns out, she was too and had seen the article). When we confirmed that yes, we were, in fact, the subjects of the article, she was sooo pleased and just beamed.
  • The night before graduation, Sharon had run into Wal-Mart for a couple items. A lady approached her and said, "I know you're going to think I'm crazy, but are you one of the ladies graduating tomorrow?" Sharon said yes, and she next asked if she was the one going for accounting. Sharon thought it was kind of creepy to have some random unknown person know that much about you.
  • One day at school, Sharon was getting off the elevator, and an elderly gentleman that she had run into numerous times over the past four years stopped her and said, "I read about you in the paper. You're a Starrr!"
  • When Sharon's friends, Ryan and Jenna, heard about the upcoming TV spot, they both declared they were going to call all their friends and relatives to watch it. Jenna said that she was going to call the TV station and ask for a copy of the segment and tell them, "Those are my friends!"
  • Dr. W1 announced to the entire class that we were going to be on TV and that they should go home and watch it.
  • I told Dr. W2—who had written one of my letters of recommendation for me—about having gotten the award. He said he was going to put it in the departmental newsletter. I said that I didn't think it was necessary, but he said, "No, no. You don't understand. It's not about you. It's about a student of MINE getting the award. I now have bragging rights!"
  • When Sharon and I were standing in line in the bookstore on campus, one of the cashiers called out, "Are you sisters? I read about you in the paper."

So here are some of the headlines:

  • WKU: "Sisters from Mennonite Community Among WKU's Top Scholars"
  • Bowling Green: "Value of Education Goes Far for Graduating Sisters"
  • Franklin: "Two Mennonite Sisters to get Honors Degrees"
  • Russellville: "Schmuckers to be Honored at WKU"
  • Franklin (post graduation): "Schmuckers Receive Honors at WKU's Commencement"

Here is the link for the television interview: http://www.wku.edu/news/releases08/december/scholars.html

And the flurry of good wishes flowing in from the public was astonishing… we feel blessed to have been shown such support. I'd like to share some of those:

From Classmates:

  • Hi Kris, All I can say is CONGRATULATIONS! I went to [Western's] website and read an article about you and your sister. What an accomplishment! ~W.L.
  • Congratulations. You've both done a really good job. ~B.W.
  • Congratulations on your honor and achievements. Good luck in your MPH courses. ~W.H.
  • Kris, I read this article about you and your sister today! I used to see a lady on campus and she looked very much like you, but I just thought it was a coincidence!! I now know that it was your sister Sharon. Congratulations on your accomplishments! You are very knowledgeable about health care and I know you will succeed at everything you put your mind to! I've enjoyed getting to know you and I look forward to keeping in touch, beyond our days at WKU!...see you tonight for our final! Good Luck! ~T.C.
  • I am so happy that both of you have done so well and are graduating with honors. That is so great! I really liked learning more about your family and your travels tonight on the news. I had no idea. How fun to have such a supportive family. I am proud to have known you both and am really happy about your success!! ~E.S.
  • Sharon, I just wanted to congratulate you on graduating. It is a great feeling. ~C.S.
  • I finished reading the article on WKU's website after we got off the phone. I thought it was great and you and Kris should both be very proud of yourselves. Don't be embarrassed. You can't help it that you're geniuses. :) ~R.B.

From Professors:

  • Wonderful radio interviews. Now you are REAL celebrities. It was...no IS my pleasure to know you and Sharon. You are fantastically gifted young ladies, who will make an enormous impact on everyone you touch and everything you do. If I can assist you in any way in your future success, PLEASE DO NOT hesitate to call. ~H.L.
  • Dear Kris and Sharon, Congratulations to both of you on your academic achievements. It was wonderful to see you today. I have now caught up on the news a bit: seen the Daily News story, read the WKU news story, and seen the video spot on the WKU web site. Your comments indicate a tremendous amount of discipline and character. It was so nice of you to mention how much the trip to Germany in 2006 meant to you. I'm going to forward the links to Markus. I am sure he will be excited to see them. ~L.M.
  • I saw you at the WKU graduation and was so very pleased that you were recognized a WKU outstanding scholar!!!! I am proud of you and wish you the very best. I would like to talk with you sometime […]. Hope all is well. Again, congratulations. ~S.J.
  • Sharon, Congratulations! I just learned you were named one of the two Scholars for the Gordon Ford College of Business for the December Commencement. ~S.W.
  • Sharon, (You are a celebrity!) Not only do you have a 4.00 GPA, had a perfect performance in my class, but you also made the news. Congratulations! I read the story about you and Kris. I am sure you will ace your CPA exam. Just study for it! ~G.K.
  • Great job, Kris! We are all so very proud of you. I plan on being there to see you get your award! Sincere best wishes always. ~C.W.

From my friends at CHC/Medical Center:

  • You didn't tell me about this! I am very proud of you and your family. ~C.S.
  • Hey Kris!! I wanted to congratulate you on receiving the Ogden Scholarship Award. That is great!! You are such a good student… Dr. W. would be so proud! :) Congratulations again!! ~S.W.
  • Hey Kris, Congratulations on the 0gden Scholarship award. What an accomplishment! I know your parents are extremely proud of both you and Sharon. I read the article in the newspaper – it was really good. Both you and Sharon are inspirations proving you can do anything with confidence and support. But what really is important is your devotion in using your education to help your Church family. We should all strive for that kind of profession. Way to go! I hope everything is going well with your graduate studies. Hang in there because I know your hard work is going to pay off. Take care and keep in touch. ~M.C.
  • Congratulations, Graduate!!! What an honor!!! C.S. shared with me about your Ogden Scholarship Award. Way to Go!!!! Good luck with your future endeavors. ~C.P.
  • Congratulations on your upcoming graduation. We wish you all the best. ~V.T.
  • Congratulations on being awarded the 0gden Scholarship! I am very happy for you, and you must be ecstatic. This award does not come as a surprise to me since I've had the pleasure to get to work and know you. I have seen firsthand what you are capable of and the intelligence you possess. Again, congratulations and best wishes! ~R.M.
  • WAY TO GO KRIS!!!!! I AM SO HAPPY AND SO VERY PROUD OF YOU!!!!!! CONGRATS!!!!!!! ~T.S.

From Acquaintances:

  • My mother-in-law from Franklin called me and told me about the news regarding your graduation from college! Just wanted to say congratulations..that is a wonderful achievement!!! ~M.D.
  • Dear Sara, I was on my way to Florida and PBS-WESTERN had an interview with your sisters! It was such a good interview. I could just picture them as they were talking. Then Meg e-mailed me that they were on TV. And tonight there was a BIG article in the Glasgow Daily Times about them with their pictures! They are celebrities. You must be very proud of them as I am sure they are of you. It's absolutely amazing what you three did with that 8th grade education you had. I couldn't be more proud of you if you were my own family. When you talk with them, please tell them I said "congratulations on the good work" and keep on going! ~J.E. {former USPS coworker}
  • Hi Kris and Sharon, I was so surprised to see you both in the newspaper and on TV! Congratulations on your accomplishments. Aren't you glad you didn't make the USPS a career! ~J.W. {former USPS coworker}
  • What celebrities you are! TV & newspaper write ups—just wonderful! We are so very proud of you and your accomplishments and all that you stand for. I'm so glad that I had the chance, through Mother and Daddy, to get to know you! God bless you wherever your paths may lead! ~G.P
  • We wanted to say congratulations for all your accomplishments. What a very special lady you are and how proud your parents must be! Way to go! Congrats to your sister as well! Best of luck and good wishes! ~J.T.
  • Congratulations on your graduation. I saw the news article that was written about you and kris . God bless you as you use your schooling for His glory! ~S.S.
  • Sharon, I am so proud of you! I knew you would go to school someday. I am excited for your sister as well. I know you don't like publicity, but you never know who is watching and can offer you a job. I have thought about you several times and wondered what you were doing. Once again, I am very proud of you!!! ~S.T.

From Family:

  • yayyyyyy, Kris, you're awesome! Go for global engagement!!!! ~Andrew
  • I'm proud of you for doing it, but just let me say, I would NOT have done it! Whatever did you answer for the civic question? That gives me the chills and I don't even have to answer it. ~Sara
  • I'm afraid if they had asked me the civic engagement question I would have said, "can you define civic engagement for me, please?" And I'm quite proud of her. I think it will be fantastic to have her speak at my commencement! ~Sharon
  • Congratulations! I am so incredibly proud of you! And I am so disappointed that I won't be able to be there. Please, please have someone make a video so I can at least see belatedly. There was no doubt in my mind that you would be the winner. They had no other choice! You just bowled them over with your knowledge, you grace under pressure, and your charm. I wish I could have been there to see the interview! ~Uncle Joe
  • Congratulations! I am also quite proud of you and I know you can make that speech! If you can face that sea of stern faces and answer their questions (and win), then you can speak to a friendly crowd and tell them what you want to. ~Mom
  • Congratulations on such a prestigious honor and a load of cash. ~Martha
  • We're thrilled and proud of you! Lyle says, "Many happy returns of the day!" I assume that doesn't mean the interview, but rather the day you get the scholarship check. ~Maria
  • I am SOOO excited! ~Jolene
  • Wow... wowwwwww. ~Louisa
  • First off,Kudos to you Kris ! I am awed that there is such intelligence within our family. Do you think some of it might rub off if I touched you? Smile. And yes, I know that you can give out a few words of wisdom at commencement. Just imagine that you're on your soap box and you're expounding to
    a bunch of your best friends. YOU CAN DO IT !!!! ~Aunt Ida
  • Kris- Congratulations on your honors. ~Nora
  • Congratulations to you and Sharon! Don't worry Kris, fame typically lasts 15 minutes! It was a great article. ~Annie
  • This is a small note to congratulate each on your wonderful and outstanding accomplishment. Jay and I hope and pray that you are very proud of yourselves. The fruits of your hard-work and determination are finally here. We wish each much success and the very best now and always. It is time for celebration and party!!!!! Congratulations once again! ~Liz

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home