Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Water Closet (WC)



So we went to Rafferty's (restaurant) last night, as one will periodically do on a Saturday night. You might [understandably] question why I am posting a photo of Rafferty's restroom instead of the beautiful salad I had, and I am, of course, happy to explain. Sharon first discovered its virtues, and since we have discussed this topic from all angles at one time or another, I had to investigate personally. And yes, this little restroom stall, in my opinion, is an example from which many architects and design experts can take lessons.


  • First of all, it would be helpful to note that it is not the size of a restroom stall that is important. No—it is largely in the placement of the "tools," (i.e., location, location, location).
  • Notice that the toilet is exactly centered in this little space. It isn't closer to one side than it is the other.
  • Furthermore, there is adequate space on both sides. No cold stall wall to cuddle with "during business hours."
  • It is not overly spacious—neither is it too small. It is simply not necessary to have one toilet dedicated to a space that is large enough to accommodate "snow angels" or the local little league baseball game, all the while lines are forming on the outside, and the one existing toilet is slammed up against the wall. Our restroom at church, for example, has two stalls which allow the doors to rest gently against your knees while the third stall is large enough to run small laps. Poor, poor design.
  • Additionally, the location of the paper supplies in this little palace is elevated (Wow! What a concept!) instead of being level with or lower than the seat itself. No awkward positions or contortions are necessary to reach up inside of a TP dispenser to try to catch the unseen tail end of the roll.
  • Notice too that the walls of the stall are from floor to ceiling and are made of a sensible, washable tile! This is a highly desirable feature as I can go about my business without fearing that my shoes are the item of scorn from any neighbors.

I have ranted about public restroom etiquette before, and to be certain, I have Opinions on this matter. But I firmly believe that to make the public restroom experience one of TOTAL satisfaction, one should go beyond restroom etiquette and recognize that restroom design is an integral part of just such an experience.

So yay for Rafferty's! On this one, you got it right.

Note: In my perfectly designed restroom of the future, you will be sure to find my friend, the Dyson Airblade. I was first introduced to this little guy in the Time Warner Building in NYC a year ago. It features a quiet motor, a 12-second dry time, and an awesome hand-drying experience. I priced this machine this past summer during my internship, and unfortunately, it will be quite some time before I will be of the economic status to afford one. But one can dream, right?

This is Mari Beth and Cindy—enjoying the Dyson Airblade.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home