Saturday, July 19, 2008

HFMA and My Friend Priceline

I was able to attend a two-day healthcare conference put on by HFMA (Healthcare Financial Management Association) this past week. My friend Brad is interning at the Medical Center-BG (I'm at Med Center Franklin), and since Dr. W ok'd attending HFMA as counting toward our internship hours, we decided we would carpool and go rub shoulders with some finance professionals. Brad's fiancé's parents live in Louisville, and so he had a place to stay. I, on the other hand, turned to my friend Priceline for accommodations. I have had great results in the past with Priceline, and this time was no different. I was able to stay at the Hyatt Regency in downtown Louisville for my bid of $60/night. Not bad for what would otherwise cost $149/night. Here's my room:



Here's the view from my window:




I also attended HFMA last year and used Priceline that time too. I ended up at the Galt House Hotel & Suites. My room last year:




The view from my balcony (same tall building as above):




My finance professor, who faithfully attends HFMA, paid $59 to stay at the Red Roof Inn, and it was not in the immediate vicinity. I had told him to use Priceline already last year, and given my results two years in a row, he says he WILL try it next year. The nice thing about the Hyatt is that it is right next door to the Marriott where all the HFMA festivities took place. This allowed me a stress-free, two-minute commute: a beautiful thing, for sure.

HFMA puts on what they call a "social event" on Thursday evening. Last year it was bowling; this year, it was attending a Louisville Bats baseball game. I don't usually attend the social event, but Brad loves baseball, and he convinced me to go. It was soooo hot, but thankfully, HFMA got us an air-conditioned corporate suite, and it wasn't too bad. This was taken through the glass of our corporate suite:




Brad and I really enjoyed hanging out with the CFO's and CEO's and financial controllers in general, and the CFO of MCBG and his daughter in particular. I have no doubt that there will come a day when I will no longer be a student… but until then, I'll take the $20 student registration fee and the $60 lodging.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home