Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Little Things

“It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.”  -Mark Twain

I’ve been thinking recently about Little Things.  And I would venture to say that Big Things are only as good as the Little Things that support them.  And as I peruse these things,  I find that I have an unofficial list of Little Things that I really value, and I have decided that they deserve to be Published.  

So here is my initial list of important Little Things.  I shall continue to contemplate the issue and add to it as inspiration strikes.  

  1. Fingernail clippers

  2. Tweezers

  3. Ice

  4. Eraser

  5. USB flash drive

  6. Pins

  7. Keys

  8. Comb

  9. Blistex

  10. License/ID

  11. Tissue

In my opinion, these things are ones that their true value by far outweighs their market value.    Have you ever thought about how terrible life would be without tissues?  Without clippers?  Without combs?  And on and on you could go.  The market value of a good comb is about 50 cents.  But how much would you pay for one if they became so scarce that you had gone months without one (how frightening!)?  And just think how wonderful Blistex feels to chapped lips!  And ice!  One only has to go to Europe to appreciate the wonders of one little ice cube.  

I’ve often wondered how exactly non Mennonites survive without easy access to pins. Can’t open that bag?  Here..  I’ll just use my pin.  Splinter?  Hang on..  I’ll just fish out my ever-present surgical tool.   What a wonderful thing to always have handy.  Without keys and a license, you’d be stuck at home all day.  No eraser?  Oh dear…  

So what is your favorite Little Thing?

2 Comments:

Blogger Kris said...

Ouch! Hate when that happens, Dave.

Things added to my list are as follows:

12. Floss--by Sharon
13. Cell phone--by Jolene (disqualified by mom as being too big)
14. Watch--by Sara
15. Bobby pin--by Mom
16. Flyswatter--by Jolynn and agreed with by Doretta
17. Leatherman--by Will
18. Powerstrip, hard drives, and Windows installation CD's--by Alvin

10:52 PM  
Blogger P M Prescott said...

Letter opener
three hole punch
toilet paper
wet wipes
disposable diapers
zipper
ball point pen
paper clips
push pins
staples and stapler
white out
post it notes
duct tape
extension cords
zip lock tops
wheels on luggage
golf tees
magnetic golf markers
wireless remote controls
universal remotes

1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home