Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Are We Farming Yet?

Yesterday it was cows. Today it was a hay rake. I ask you--are we farmers or are we healthcare professionals?? Could we maybe get back to doctoring now or is that a little “out there”?

I hadn't clocked in yet. I was using the time to catch up on some reading for my economics class this morning and had the door to my office shut to keep the others out. The law of Murphy says, however, that any quiet time that is found must be disturbed. So it was no surprise when I was summoned to the telephone to speak with my boss.

“Have a busy day planned, Miss Kris?” asked the doc.

“Always,” I replied. “What’s up?”

So he informs me that he has a part for his hay rake that he needs to be picked up in Hopkinsville. And this pertains to me how? Yes. He wanted me to drive an hour and a half away to pick up a rod for his hay rake. His hay rake!! And the most amazing thing was that he just took it for granted that I’d have no objections.

“Well, just how big is this ‘part’?” I asked. “Will it fit into my car?” Oh. Well, he hadn’t thought about that. After some deliberation, he said he thought it was about seven feet long and that he was sure we should be able to somehow get it into my car, “although you might have to leave a window open.” I informed him that that would be most unfortunate if I would have to drive an hour and a half with my window open “on a day like today,” to which he agreed. Nevertheless, by my not fussing, I guess I agreed to do it.

Now luckily for me, Kim is from Hop-town, and it just so happened that she needed to go over there to pick something up from her mother’s house and to pick her boys’ winter clothes up from somewhere. So she not only volunteered to go—she begged to go. How much better could it get to not only get paid to go, but to get your gas paid for too (especially with the gas prices of today)? So it ended up working out well for all involved, for which I was very grateful. I just simply didn’t want to dedicate three of my precious hours to a hay rake.

Kim has a KIA, so she was better able to handle this thing called “a part.” But mind you, it was not seven feet long, as originally suggested by the doc—it was NINE feet long! It was a tough fit for Kim’s vehicle, but I probably would’ve had to have a flag attached to the crazy thing.

And that would’ve been cute.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home