Monday, September 13, 2004

like a curtain?

What an awful test! I didn't spend as much time preparing for my Communications test as I would've liked. It's not like I didn't spend all weekend studying for the three tests I've got in a row. I even took off work an hour and a half early today so that I could hop over to the library to study.

There were about four of us who filed quietly into the classroom at 5:00 and sat there studying. The teacher from next door asked Mrs. B what in the world she does to get us to come so early. I said, "Just try having a test." Shoo, shoo.

This test had about 31 multiple choice & True/False questions on it, then the bad stuff--SEVEN essay questions. The m.c./t/f took me about all of seven minutes to complete and the rest of the next hour and a half was spent doing nothing but writing. Most of the questions she had given us prior warning on; however, my memory doesn't last that long when trying to recall what horizontal communication is, what its obstacles are, and what a manager can do to improve it. I just couldn't remember it. So what do I do when under pressure? I majorly babbled and hoped she wouldn't notice my answers weren't really there. I gave her a bunch of malarky to read.

I was certainly in the final ten percent to finish the test. After I had handed it in, I took a short break to the restroom, then headed back in because she was still going to lecture some after the test yet. On my way back to my seat, she whispered my name pretty loudly to call me up to her desk. "I love your pink dress," she said. "It reminds me of some curtains I made for my daughter's school classroom last summer. We made pink and orange and green and red and blue....."

"Well, isn't that interesting!?" I remarked with a tiny smile, feeling quite humbled to be likened to a curtain. Maybe the pink will give her rose-colored vision when she gets ahold of my test.

The nerves are beginning to throw fits. We have to come up with a topic for our first presentation by next week. Yikes! I'm not prepared for this. This is one time I should've maybe let procrastination take over. My approach so far has been to get the big, the bad, and the ugly classes overwith... but a speech class? *nervous* Anybody have any brilliant suggestions for my topic? It's supposed to be an informative speech, 4-6 minutes, business-related. At this moment, I'm thinking I'll do it on HIPAA. That way, I can do it on the clock, and it's something I should be refreshing in my mind anyway. How's that for brilliant?

I decided I'd try Mom's trick for the first time tonight of going to Swifty's and letting them pump my gas for me. I had had such a stressful evening, I deserved a small break. "WE PUMP THE GAS," it says in big, bold letters everywhere you look. I declare I sat there for at least ten minutes watching the attendant fill everyone else's gas tank, while my car sat there just as empty as could be. It was amazing that one could be so invisible. I thought about driving off in a huff and showing him a thing or two, but I just sat there quietly waiting. When everyone else had gone, he sort've made a move to come over my direction. "It's about time," I thought to myself. I may have just as well pumped my own gas for as long as it took. That was when happened to glance slightly to the south and realized I was sitting at a Self Service Pump. Oh, I was ticked alright. I don't even know what comment I made to the man, but I VERY HUMBLY (and very quickly) got out and smashed my gas tank lid back in place. I started my engines and left in a huff alright, though not in the manner of my original design. I went to Speedway down the road instead. I shall be satisfied to pump my own gas from now on. Bah! Why tempt fate?

Well, two more tests in the morning... Algebra and Sociology... both about as welcome as the one of this evening. I think maybe I'll wear a more subdued color.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my I love it just love it. Your posts are so interesting and hillarious.
BTW - I work at Choice, I scan Invoices.

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home